Pages

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sadie's Simple Chocolate Cake...


This is my very first post so I thought it would be appropriate to feature one of my mom's recipes. She made this chocolate cake all the time for the family...it was quick and easy!
She rarely frosted it. Well, it was gone before she had a chance. I found the recipe which, as my son Elliot says, is just a guideline for my memory. It lists the ingredients, says mix it all but add the hot water last, and bake until done! Her abbreviations for Baking powder were BP and BS for baking soda. I made it and it turned out just like I remembered...but I did frost it! It's a great cake to serve to the family and friends.
I used the Fudgy Chocolate Frosting from Tish Boyle's The Cake Book. Thanks to Ivonne's recommendation at Cream Puffs in Venice, I love this cookbook!

Here is Sadie's recipe, although I have added a few instructions which worked for me.
Enjoy!
  • 3/4 cup cocoa
  • 1 - 3/4 cups all purpose flour (preferably unbleached)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 - 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (BP)
  • 1 - 1/2 teaspoons baking soda (BS)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and grease a rectangular pan (12 Inches x 9 Inches)
  2. Sift the dry ingredients together.
  3. Mix the dry ingredients in the mixer bowl (low speed)
  4. Add oil, eggs (one at a time until incorporated), vanilla and milk (medium speed)
  5. When batter is smooth, add boiling water ( start on low and be careful that it doesn't splash!)
  6. Pour into prepared pan and bake approx. 35- 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool the cake completely before frosting.

Options: Simply sprinkle powdered sugar over the cake or make this delicious frosting.
You can find the original frosting recipe in The Cake Book.

Fudgy Chocolate Frosting
  • 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate (coarsely chopped)
  • 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate (coarsely chopped) - I used Lindt dark chocolate
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  1. Melt chocolates together in stainless steel bowl over simmering water. When chocolate is melted completely, set aside and cool completely. (you can cheat and put the chocolate in the microwave for 2 minutes...but keep your eye on it!)
  2. In the bowl of an electric mixer (paddle attachment) beat the butter until creamy - 30 seconds.
  3. Gradually add the confectioners sugar and beat on high until light and creamy - 2 -1/2 minutes.
  4. Beat in the vanilla extract.
  5. Add the cooled chocolate and mix on low until blended. Increase the speed to high and beat about one minute more.


Frost this chocolate cake and enjoy!

9 comments:

creampuff said...

Penny,

Congratulations on your first blog post! And what a recipe to start with!!! Welcome to the world of food blogging!

Unknown said...

Sounds delicious.

jsc said...

Penny, this is GREAT, everyone knows I can't cook, let alone BAKE, but this cake sounds so yummy, I will have to give it a try. Keep stirring it up.

Dan said...

Eat your hearts out! I have the pleasure of actually eating the cake in the picture....and as yummy as the picture looks, the cake is 10 times better!

Unknown said...

Penny: Congratulations on this endeavour. What a wonderful way to not only remember your mom, but to share her fabulous recipies with people who will truly enjoy them. So, I guess I'll have to start baking..............
Jenn

Anonymous said...

The cake looks yummy and fun to make...I will definitely be making it...but it would be even better if Dan would be willing to share..

Unknown said...

Meredith made this tonight and yes, it was fabulous!

think about said...

Outstanding blog, in my opinion site owners should acquire a great deal out of this blog its very user welcoming.

Unknown said...

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...